Wednesday 29 May 2013

Book review- The Witness - Nora Roberts

RATE:★
Pages:488
Author:Nora Roberts
Published: April 2012

This is my first Nora Roberts books, I was just looking for a good romance book, to be honest and this at the time had good reviews and was at the top of the best romance books of 2012. So I got the book and I was very dissapointed.

Story - Daughter of a controlling mother, Elizabeth finally let loose one night, drinking at a nightclub and allowing a strange man's seductive Russian accent lure her to a house on Lake Shore Drive. The events that followed changed her life forever.

Twelve years later, the woman known as Abigail Lowery lives on the outskirts of a small town in the Ozarks. A freelance programmer, she designs sophisticated security systems--and supplements her own security with a fierce dog and an assortment of firearms. She keeps to herself, saying little, revealing nothing. But Abigail's reserve only intrigues police chief Brooks Gleason. Her logical mind, her secretive nature, and her unromantic viewpoints leave him fascinated but frustrated. He suspects that Abigail needs protection from something--and that her elaborate defenses hide a story that must be revealed.

With a quirky, unforgettable heroine and a pulse-pounding plotline, Nora Roberts presents a riveting new read that cements her place as today's most reliably entertaining thriller--and will leave people hungering for more.


Pro's - I actually liked the beginning of the book, it was of a vulnerable girl who wants friends and to do normal things and she does it. She becomes friends with this girl from her class and goes clubbing where she meets these Russian guys and I enjoyed reading that part. If was interesting and flowing very well. The Russian accents and the dialogue was good. 

CON'S - It was for me when she became Elizabeth and it was 12 years later that I really started to get annoyed with the book. Firstly, the girl was staying in this house and she didn't speak to no one and kept to herself. But the chief of police who I really hated and his mum kept pestering her. Like they would go to her house and say I want to come in or blah blah blah....And she never said no, like really. 

And then somehow she came up to the conclusion that if she slept with him, he would leave her alone. Like really, I just felt like it wasn't love or anything romantic but he just forced himself onto her but she didn't have the guts to tell him go away or I don't like you. I would have done that, it was very annoying and it just ruined the story for me....I don't know what kind of romance that is. 

Another thing was she talked a lot like I would read three paragraphs about something that could have been explained in one sentenced. Like I know she's smart and anti-social and all but it was annoying as hell. 

Conclusion-My first and last Nora book and this book wasn't a thriller nor was it a romance it was just disappointing. I wouldn't recommend this book to no one. 


1 comment:

  1. It is so interesting to read other people's opinion on books we've read. I really enjoyed The Witness. Probably not a good choice for a first between Nora's 200 but still it belongs to my top 20.
    Thank you for sharing. Like I said, I love to read different opinions on the books I like and don't like.
    Take Care,
    Teresa

    I'd like you to visit my visit my Blog dedicated to Nora Roberts' works... well, kind of. I make paralels between things that pop in the net and Nora novels.

    www.beingnorabound.blogspot.pt

    ReplyDelete