Friday 13 May 2011

Room by Emma Donoghue Book Review

RATE:★★★
Pages: 401
Author:Emma Donoghue
Published: January 2011

I came home early one day and when I switched on the TV there was the TV book club and they were talking about this book. From the description of the story it seemed interesting so I said let me just get it and thats what I did. On the book there are 22 reviews from magazines to people so this is a popular book, so I am just going to give my little review.

This book is basically about Jack who is five years old and has always lived in Room with his mother because she was kidnapped and trapped in that room by a man called Old Nick.

Pro’s- The way the author writes this book as a five year old is amazing and when you finish the book you will be like it had to be written from the child’s prospective and not the mothers. I liked the story…It was original and it gave you an inside of what actually can happen in that situation…even though there have been stories in newspapers of this kind of thing this is much vivid. I also enjoyed reading about the bond with the mother and child. In the room their bond is really close and special.

It’s really a book that you can’t put down, you want to know what will happen next and the little boy kind-off melts you’re heart, his so cute. I read this book in 2 days.

Cons- Most of the first chapter was honestly not interesting, not much really happened…it was just dragging along…but it was readable but not that interesting but I guess you have to read the first chapter to understand the characters more and their story. Also the last chapter after all the action kind of dragged. It was just a repeat of the same thing like describing a chair in great detail and then describing a table in the same way but different concept….I don’t want to ruin it, lol…but after a while in the last chapter it just feels like you are reading the same thing just in different environments but I just carried on to just finish the book but readable chapter but not great as the other chapters.

Would I recommend this book?? Yes, I feel like after reading this book you will learn something about yourself.

1 comment:

  1. This is undoubtedly one of the best, if not the best novel I have ever read in my life. I read it in 8 hours straight, feeling incredibly guilty when I had to put it down to reach for the tissues every now and then. Don't let the initial tone discourage you in any way, though the story is told from a 5 year old's point of view, it could never have been more immaculate had it been written differently. I've never encountered such bare innocence as Jack's, and so many times I felt like I wasn't reading the book at all, but rather completely immersed in the story, wanting to reach Jack and Ma, or scream as loud as I could to get somebody to help them.

    ReplyDelete